CD Accountable Officer
The Controlled Drugs regulations 2013 require that each NHS England region has a Controlled Drugs Accountable Officer.
Samantha Travis is the Controlled Drugs Accountable Officer for NHS England – North Midlands (Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire).
It is her responsibility to ensure the safe and effective use of controlled drugs within local organisations across NHS England North Midlands.
In short, the Accountable Officer must ensure that;
• A controlled drugs local intelligence network is in place.
• Adequate destruction arrangements are in place for controlled drugs.
• The prescribing of controlled drugs is monitored and audited and good prescribing practice is promoted.
• Request periodic declarations from GPs and providers of dental, nursing or midwifery services.
• Manage direct reporting of incidents relating to primary care.
• Arrangements are in place to inspect premises, which are not visited by other regulatory bodies e.g. CQC, GPhC.
The Accountable Officer also has an obligation to record concerns regarding individual’s management of controlled drugs, to assess and investigate those concerns and to take appropriate action if those concerns are well founded.
ALL health care professionals have a statutory duty to report any incidents, errors or concerns, however minor, regarding the management of Controlled Drugs.
In the first instance you are advised to contact Samantha Travis – firstname.lastname@example.org with all incidents, queries or concerns relating to controlled drugs management. Address:
NHS England, North Midlands, Birch House, Southwell Rd West, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG21 0HJ
Samantha Travis is supported in this role locally by:
Eleanor Carnegie Controlled Drugs Support Officer (for Shropshire & Staffordshire) Tel: 0113 8254 630 Eleanor.email@example.com
Eleanor can also be contacted at:
NHS England North Midlands, Anglesey House, Wheelhouse Road, Towers Plaza, Rugeley, WS15 1UL
Also supporting Samantha Travis:
Margaret Farrow-Johnson Controlled Drugs Support Officer (for Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire)Tel: 0113 8249774 Margaret.firstname.lastname@example.org
Selina Utting Controlled Drugs Administration Support (NHS England North Midlands) Tel: 0113 8255479 Selina.email@example.com
CD incidents can be reported using the CD Significant Event Analysis Form and CD balance discrepancies reported using the unresolved CD discrepancies form
Check out the CD resources page on our website for CD newsletters, reporting forms etc.